4.20.2009

Hello Birdie - Four Ways...

Today, I thought I'd illustrate how different a card can feel just by a subtle change in elements. I've created four cards using the exact same base elements (card base, wine & brown strip, & sentiment) and did a little switch-a-roo with the main image & embellishments.

Stamps: Friends & Forever Friends (both available thru April 30th only!)

Colorant & Technique: Prismacolor Pencils blended with mineral oil & blending stump

Other: Audrey Embellishment Jar, Dark Pink & Tan Scrapper's Floss, misc. buttons, foam tape, and Cuttlebug Embossing Folder

The first two have very subtle placement differences... simply stacking the bird/flowers above the sentiment, puts all of the 'weight' of the card to the lower right on the second one, rather than along the entire length of the bottom as in the first.

The second two cards change the card direction completely. The third card moves the flowers to form a kind of nest for the bird, while the fourth card echoes the flower placement of the first two. In both the third & fourth cards, all of the 'weight' is on the right-side of the layout.

What I did next, was take the first two versions and created a fifth card that had the placement I liked best, and used a white card base.

I switched the brown & wine strips and added a dotted line from Creative Inspiration in Noir Palette ink to tie in the image better with the base.
I wish the dotted line was a little less messy, but I guess it looks handmade, right?! :) So, which one is your favorite layout, and do you like the kraft card base or the white?
Challenge time!!!
Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to create a minimum of three cards using the exact same elements and just vary the placement. I'm going to see if I can get the Linky box up, but I've been having issues :)

So... What do you think?
.

20 comments:

Chris said...

Wow Barb, I love the colors you chose for this bird. I didn't really care that much for it but your samples make it look wonderful! :) Bad girl!! tee hee....

KellyRae said...

I love the wee bit of coloring on the bird that you then blended out with the mineral spirits...wow! My favorite is the first one with the bird a little in line with the words.

Kimberly said...

These are adorable! Love how you used the scrapper's floss and the little embossed panels are perfect!

Jen Carter said...

Great cards!! I was not a fan of those birds but you made them look so pretty! Gorgeous!!

Anna said...

I think I like the top one best. All are lovely! Making me wonder if I should have gotten that bird set!

Danni said...

These are all wonderful!! I love seeing cards made with the same ingredients, yet different! Awesome!

LadybugSue said...

I did not purchase that set but seeing what you did with it I'll order it today. I love it. I do like the darker cardstock better thou.

Michelle said...

Barb these are FANTASTIC!!! I got that set because I thought it was so pretty and then haven't been sure what to do with it! Thanks for all your wonderful ideas!!

Bridgett Owens said...

Oh my gosh! You are genius! I love, love, love these cards! I definitely love the white cardstock base but that is because I use white the most. LOL I definitely like the kraft, too, though. I really liked this set a lot and thought of getting it. I think it is so pretty and your cards definitely enhance that. I think it's awesome to use the same elements and make different cards. What a great way to show the diversity of a stamp set. Love that!! I'll definitely try this challenge and link back to you!
Hugs,
Bridgett

Percy said...

I love it once again!!! You are such a talented lady!!! Love the colors!!!

Unknown said...

You are just amazing! I love the way you showed how the differences affect the card. My favorite is the first one but the rest come in second!

Patti J. said...

Sigh...another 'must have' set! Great job! Love the four samples - each is prettier than the last!

Lisadwb said...

First of all I love the Bird!!
Second of all- WOW!!! Each card looks completely different. Amazing.....

Stacy's Paper Crafts said...

Great cards Barb! Love the coloring.

Melisa Waldorf said...

I love this set and the colors you used!! Awesome chick!

Angela K said...

WOW!!

Anonymous said...

Barb - absolutely awesome! The colors are perfect and go so well with the kraft cardstock. I may after get that birdie yet! rita w

Sarah G. said...

These are great, Barb!!

Diana said...

I am in LOVE with your cards!! I love them ALL!! NOW I need to order this set! and I will do the same as you did with that eye!! is just the perfect touch!!

Thanks for share!!

PS I love your coloring!! you ROCK!

Trudy Osborn said...

I think this is amazing as usual. I LOVE that the eye is taken off. REALLY helps this birds looks IMO. My fav ones are the vertical cards.